IRVINE is home to more than 22,000 businesses, including 900 tech companies and numerous global headquarters. With more than 75 languages spoken by residents, Irvine’s rich cultural diversity is celebrated through enterprise, award-winning, globally-inspired cuisine, eclectic entertainment venues, and shopping options. Exemplary city management and public-private partnerships have earned IRVINE multiple honors, such as the Safest Large City in America and one of the best places to raise a family.
IRVINE is centrally located in the heart of Orange County and is easily reached by road, rail, or sky. With its entrance in Irvine, John Wayne Airport—one of America's most passenger-friendly international airports with dozens of direct flights daily—is a convenient hub for travelers.
IRVINE was master planned to be an economic powerhouse. The balance of business and community established by Irvine’s Master Plan continues to sustain the quality of life we built. That balance has propelled Irvine’s reputation as a global business hub, nurtured organic diversity, and contributed to an enviable level of economic vitality. Still fueled by robust life science and information technology sectors—many involved in the work to manage and mitigate the virus—our 21st-century industries and our commitment to education, safety, and quality of life position Irvine as a model city well into the future.
Workforce/Industries – Employment
Number of people working in Irvine (as of 2021 Q4): 269,187
Number of companies with a business license in Irvine (as of 12/31/21): 22,00
- 93,298 (up from 81,133 in 2020) Professional, Scientific, Management, Administrative, Information & Waste Mgmt. Services
- 28,501 (30,251 in 2020) Manufacturing
- 33,893 (35,463 in 2020) Finance & Insurance, Real Estate Rental & Leasing
- 46,342 (46,536 in 2020) Educational Services, Health Care, Social Assistance, Public Administration
- 15,565 (17,395 in 2020) Wholesale Trade
- 14,928 (23,276 in 2020) Arts, Entertainment, Recreation, Hospitality
- 6,455 (3,672 in 2020) Other Services (except Public Administration)
- 12,035 (12,339 in 2020) Retail Trade
- 13,165 (14,511 in 2020) Construction
- 4,743 (4,658 in 2020) Transportation & Warehousing, Utilities
- 264 (986 in 2020) Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting, Mining