Irvine Has the Best Broadband in the US
Friday, December 14, 2018
Analysis of more than 115M Internet speed tests reveals that Irvine, California, has the best broadband in the country, with an average download speed of 124Mbps and an upload speed of 52Mbps.
Unsurprisingly, that was on Google Fiber, as were most of the top 10 cities, shown below.
Speed test company Ookla said that it calculated the rankings by using a weighted average of upload and download speeds.
When analyzing fastest ISPs, Ookla considers top providers (all ISPs with 3 percent or more of total test samples in the market for the period). The company then determines the fastest provider using Speed Score which incorporates a measure of each provider’s download and upload speed to rank network speed performance (90 percent of the final Speed Score is attributed to download speed and the remaining 10 percent to upload speed).
The Speed Score uses a modified trimean to demonstrate the download and upload speeds that are available across a provider’s network. Ookla takes speeds from the tenth percentile, fiftieth percentile (also known as the median), and ninetieth percentile, and combines them in a weighted average using a 1:2:1 ratio, respectively. The company places the most emphasis on the download speeds and median speeds as those represent what most network providers’ customers will experience on a day-to-day basis.
Sonic, Wave G, MetroNet and Webpass all featured in the top 10 best-performing broadband table.
City speeds based on average speeds for all results
ISP’s Speed Score
San Francisco, California
Kansas City, Missouri
Charlotte, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina
Overall, Xfinity was the fastest broadband provider, but Ookla said that a more meaningful test when comparing ISPs might be to consider consistency of speed as well as raw numbers. To rank ISPs, the company compared the percentage of the time a tested speed was acceptable for streaming 4K video – a download speed of 25Mbps or better.
The good news for Xfinity customers is that the same ISP came out top there, while AT&T only managed it a little more than half the time, and CenturyLink struggled to break a third of the time.
Overall, Ookla found that things are getting better.
With gigabit expanding across the nation, fixed broadband speeds in the United States are rapidly increasing. Speedtest data reveals a 35.8 percent increase in mean download speed during the last year and a 22.0 percent increase in upload speed. As a result, the U.S. ranks seventh in the world for download speed, between Hungary and Switzerland. The U.S. ranks twenty seventh for upload, between Bulgaria and Canada, during Q2-Q3 2018.
Fixed speeds are increasing at a faster rate than mobile ones, but that is likely to change in 2020 when 5G begins to come properly online.
Category: Community News, Member News, Breaking News