Hoag is Among 11 US Hospitals with Top Ratings for Procedures
Sunday, August 29, 2021
Hoag is one of only 11 hospitals in the nation to receive the top rating of high performing in all 17 procedures and conditions in U.S. News & World Report's2021-2022 Best Hospitals rankings.
Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian in Newport Beach, a general medical and surgical facility, is nationally ranked in five adult specialties and rated high performing in two adult specialties and 17 procedures and conditions. The evaluation of Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian also includes data from Hoag Hospital Irvine.
As part of the Best Hospitals rankings and ratings, U.S. News evaluated more than 4,000 hospitals for their handling of seven chronic conditions and up to 10 medical procedures.
The seven chronic conditions used in the evaluation included:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Kidney failure
The 10 medical procedures included:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- Aortic valve surgery
- Back surgery (spinal fusion)
- Colon cancer surgery
- Heart bypass surgery
- Hip fracture
- Hip replacement
- Knee replacement
- Lung cancer surgery
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
In each procedure and condition in which a hospital had treated enough patients to be evaluated, the hospital received a rating of high performing, average or below average. The ratings are designed to help patients and health care consumers make informed decisions about where to receive care for specific medical needs.
More than 2,000 hospitals earned at least one top rating of "high performing." But only the 11 standouts listed below, less than 1% of the hospitals evaluated, got the top rating in all 17 procedures and conditions. Seven of these hospitals also made the Honor Roll of Best Hospitals.
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Cleveland Clinic
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach
- Houston Methodist Hospital.
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Mayo Clinic-Phoenix.
- Scripps La Jolla Hospitals, La Jolla, California
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- UNC Rex Hospital, Raleigh, North Carolina
- University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
- University of Wisconsin Hospitals, Madison
Hoag is a platinum-level Leaders Circle partner of the Greater Irvine Chamber.
Category: Excellence in Healthcare, Leaders Circle, Hoag, US, Irvine