2020 Census Extends Response Timeline
Friday, March 20, 2020
The U.S. Census Bureau has extended the 2020 Census response timeline and suspended all employee field operations because of the coronavirus outbreak.
The decision came only one week after Census documents were just delivered to households, and it means workers will halt person-to-person efforts to ensure that residents participate in the count that determines political representation in Congress and guides federal spending.
“Beginning today, in support of guidance on what we can all do to help slow the spread of coronavirus, 2020 Census field operations will be suspended for two weeks until April 1, 2020,” U.S. Census Bureau Director Steven Dillingham said in an announcement.
“The Census Bureau is taking this step to help protect the health and safety of the American public, Census Bureau employees, and everyone going through the hiring process for temporary census taker positions,” he said.
Events meant to promote filling out the Census have all been indefinitely postponed. The Census Bureau is working with colleges and universities on how to count students with them not at school.
The Census is available for people to fill out online, by phone or by mail, but there are many populations such as those without internet access or who have language or literacy issues who Census employees need to reach out to in person. Lee said they were supposed to start going to households in April, but that’s now become an unknown with the coronavirus.
A spokesman for the Census Bureau did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Dillingham said 11 million people had responded so far to the letter the Census Bureau mailed earlier this month.
Category: Economic News