Students Start New School Year with New Campus
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Irvine Unified School District welcomed students back to classes Aug. 22. Students entering Loma Ridge Elementary in Irvine that day got to meet their new teachers — and a whole new school.
Loma Ridge, the second elementary school to serve the Portola Springs neighborhood, opened to 255 students. The 59,000-square-foot campus features a media center, collaboration spaces, dedicated music classrooms, and outdoor learning areas.
The school is open to students in kindergarten through fourth grades, with plans to add a grade each of the next two years.
It is the 24th elementary school in the Irvine Unified School District.
To serve its growing population, the district has opened a new campus at the start of each school year since 2013:
- Cadence Park School opened in August 2018.
- Eastwood Elementary opened in August 2017.
- Portola High School and Beacon Park School opened in August 2016.
- Portola Springs Elementary opened in August 2015.
- Cypress Village Elementary opened in August 2014.
- Jeffrey Trail Middle School opened in August 2013.
(Photo by Paul Bersebach, Orange County Register/SCNG)
Category: Education News, Community Matters