OC Depart. of Education Releases Guidelines to Safely Reopen Schools in the Fall
Thursday, June 25, 2020
With support from public health experts, including our local Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA), the Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) and school districts across the county have developed a comprehensive guide with recommendations and best practices for reopening more than 600 schools in a safe and responsible manner.
This resource has been developed using guidance from the California Department of Public Health (Links to an external site.) and will be updated as new information is presented. It was approved by the Orange County Health Officer on June 12, 2020.
While locally elected school boards will work with their superintendents, staff, and families to implement plans specific to their districts based on the needs of their schools and communities, the Orange County Together guide recommends:
- Working to resume in-person instruction, complemented by online learning options
- Collaborating with the OC Health Care Agency and state agencies
- Developing innovative approaches to scheduling
- Communicating consistently with families and community partners
- Monitoring developments daily and making adjustments as circumstances warrant
Guidance is presented in the following areas:
- Healthy Hygiene Practices
- Maintaining Healthy Environments
- Maintaining Healthy Operations
- Preparing for When Someone Gets Sick
Guides are available in English, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, and Vietnamese here.